Monday, November 24, 2008

Thanksgiving Appitizer

I think one of the best parts about Thanksgiving is everyone in the kitchen helping to cook! It is so much fun - and I will miss sharing that time with my mom and sister this year! Fortunately one of the High School girls from our church, Brooke Jennings is going to come over to cook with me Wednesday night! And Jon is going to make his family's version of sweet potato casserole, so I am looking forward to starting new traditions! And when you cook you ALWAYS need something to snack on. I brought this appetizer on Sunday to a leaders meeting and it was a hit, so I thought I would share it with you! It is great to munch on while you are cooking, or to serve to your family and friends! Plus it is easy!! It's a cheese ball - yes you can make them homemade - and they are soooo much better than the ones you buy in the store that are not spreadable! This one, I promise you, will spread with ease. Try it out!

Homemade Cheesball
1 8oz cream cheese
1 small glass jar of pimento cheese
1 small glass jar of Old English Cheese
1 T Worchshire sauce
Garlic powder to taste
Cheyenne Pepper to taste
1-2 C chopped Pecans

Cream together all 3 cheeses with a spatula (It works a lot better if you set your cream cheese out to get room temperature first).
Add Worchshire sauce, garlic powder and Cheyenne pepper. Start out with a little and add more to taste. You can mix a few pecans in if you the nuts are your favorite part like us :)
In your bowl shape it the best you can into a ball with your spatula.
Refrigerate for a few hours covered (until you can pick the cheese ball and and shape it).
Shape your cheese into a ball
Spread your nuts out on a sheet of aluminum foil or wax paper, and roll your cheese ball in the nuts until it is covered.

I love to serve this app with Ritz Whole Wheat Crackers!

You can enjoy it right away or refrigerate it as long as you like. They last about a week in the fridge! Yummy!!!

No comments: